!
<body>

It's A Michael World After All

It's been an even-more-than-usually-busy couple of weeks, with a big event for our brand new client at the Canadian Tourism Commission, the launch of a huge API developers' challenge for our friends at Textwise in Rochester (that got TechCrunched!), and buckets of other work flowing through the pipe.

So in lieu of a real update, a few pointers to where else I've been popping up online and off in the last week or so.

First, it was nice to show up quoted alongside my old friend Carl Frappaolo in this piece at ITBusiness.ca: "Embrace social networking before it's too late, experts caution". I was interviewed for my thoughts on a very detailed new study published by AIIM - The Enterprise Content Management Association.

The study covers "Enterprise 2.0"- the adoption of Web 2.0-type technologies inside the firewall at large enterprises. As the document summary notes:
This study of 441 end users (performed in January 2008) found that a majority of organizations recognize Enterprise 2.0 as critical to the success of their business goals and objectives, but that most do not have a clear understanding of what Enterprise 2.0 is.
Somehow, that doesn't surprise me at all. It's a huge study, and well worth reading if you're interested in how all this bloggy, wiki, social media-y goodness is starting to penetrate inside large enterprise IT environments. You can download all 80-something pages at the AIIM site, here.

It was fun to talk through this report with the chap at ITBusiness - I felt like I was on very familiar ground. Long before I became a PR guy, the document/content/knowledge management community was my life for many, many years. That solid grounding in the enterprise side of content & knowledge management, paired with my more recent experience in the social media universe seems to be paying off in all sorts of strange ways.

It's funny how so much of the stuff we used to talk about back then is still so incredibly relevant today - even more so, in many cases. And, now that I stop to think about it, it's also interesting to note how many of the gurus from old skool KM circles have gone on to become leading thinkers in the social media world - David Weinberger and Stowe Boyd being two examples that leap to mind - both of whom contributed to this AIIM study. There's a thread worthy of further discussion there, but I'm short on time.

Another thing about that AIIM study that I liked - they start off by trying to define just what the heck "Enterprise 2.0" means. This - not surprisingly - provoked considerable debate amongst the advisory group working on the study. In a smart, transparent, and very useful move, the AIIM guys decided to publish the entire email dialogue between advisory panel members at the front of the report. Nice. Very Research 2.0 of them.

This isn't the first time I've been quoted by the guys at ITBusiness.ca/IT World Canada. I popped up in their piece on the release of YouTube's API and then there was my Eight Steps to Launching a Corporate Blog thing from last year.

This is only really of interest to me, in my sad little moments of lonely ego-stroking - or perhaps, at a stretch, to my Mum - but it's kind of nice to see that the IT World Canada guys keep their archives online and freely searchable indefinitely. I can track my footprints through their coverage way back to 1998, when I was being quoted on the client side. I do wish they could get my surname right, though...

And one final moment of Michael-centricity, for anyone still awake. I can't link to an online copy, alas, but if you happen to be reading the latest issue of FP Business Magazine that came free with the National Post this morning, you'll see me popping up again to talk social media stuff on page 53 - quoted alongside the splendid Michael McDerment, CEO of Freshbooks.

All Michael, all the time. Time for a lie down, I think. Head... too... heavy...