!
<body>

BlogCards

I'm still Uninstalled, but (as I think I've said before) it's remarkable how busy you can be when you're not engaged in gainful employment. 

Life at the moment is one long round of meetings, lunches, breakfasts, and drinks with potential employers, old friends, former colleagues, sometime clients, networked associates, and the like. 

One of the problems I keep running into is that all of this networking inevitably lands one in situations where business cards are being exchanged - and I don't have any goddam business cards because...well...I don't have a goddam business.

I'd looked at getting some generic name & address cards printed to fix this gap, but none of the bland and nasty designs available really appeal to me.  There's too much sense of the desperate network marketer in most of the standard card designs on the market.

Then a post at Joi Ito's blog lead me to the wonderful Hugh MacLeod's "Blog Cards" service.  Yippee!

I've been a fan of Hugh's work on gapingvoid.com for ages - Hugh's story of why and how he first started doodling his "cartoons drawn on the back of business cards" resonated with me the first time I read it.

Now Hugh is reversing his original approach - instead of cartoons drawn on the back of business cards, he's selling business cards on the back of cartoons.

Perfect.

I've picked this image to go on the front (or is it the back?) of my new "Blog Cards":

 

I think the reverse will just list contact info and the words:

Michael O'Connor Clarke
Reformed Big PR Bloke

Mind you, now that I've looked through more of the site, I kind of like this design too:

WDYT?

I have a big meeting this afternoon with a really, really cool company I'd love to end up working for one way or another. Wish I had my shiny new Blog Cards to hand out...