!
<body>

Afters After.

Nasty, blustery, stormy day in Toronto. But plenty of reasons to be cheerful at home, celebrating La Belle Saucisse’s thirtymumbleth birthday.

Krispy Kremes for brekkie, new watch, jewellery (carefully and very well chosen by Charlie & Lily), tickets for Turandot this Thursday (Richard Margison giving it loads as Calaf), plus a big family dinner earlier tonight.

After dinner, I ran back out to the kitchen to whip cream for the birthday cake, then popped upstairs to the loo.

As Ruairi has taken to saying: "uh oh"...

Lily, bless her, wanting to be helpful, decided to carry the huge, squishy birthday cake in from the dining room to the kitchen (so I could get the candles into it, I guess).

I’m afraid it really was a very, very squishy cake. Fresh cream Italian double chocolate truffle cake – rich, creamy, decadent, and…

On the floor.

A little too heavy for a well-meaning four year old, I’m afraid. Splosh.

Coming back downstairs just as the cake met the floor, I hovered for a moment between two possible responses. I tried on the annoyed-but-fair stern Dad for a few moments, but just couldn’t keep it going.

Poor Lily, she was so upset. Not sure it helped much that Sausage and I were obviously biting our tongues to keep from giggling.

Well it was a bloody nice looking cake before it hit the hardwood. Here's the ‘after’ picture:


Figured I'd stick candles in and light them anyway.

We did manage to save most of it, btw - and very yummy it was too. (The 'before' picture, if you really want to compare, is over here -- scroll down to the 'Chocolate Truffle' cake).

A memorable birthday moment.