!
<body>

WiFi Know How Wanted

As I've time on my hands, I'm finally getting around to tweaking and fiddling with the settings on our home WiFi network (a birthday present from my wonderful wife - the wifi wifey).

I'm trying to iron out the blackspots in the coverage without having to pay extra for the upgraded antennae.

At the moment, I get a terrific signal in the kitchen and a few other parts of the house, but the signal drops to zilch when I'm parked on our biggest, comfiest couch at the far end of the living room. The D-Link 2.4GHz Wireless router is up in the main bedroom, at the front of the house (most convenient spot without running extra phone cable for the DSL modem).

Of course, parked on that big comfy couch is exactly where I want to be doing most of my blogging from - in the evenings, anyway.

I know this probably means we're spilling signal into the street for anyone to get a free ride (but we're firewalled in software and hardware, and it's not like our quiet little one-way street sees much through traffic anyway - if anyone's war driving along here, they're lost).

So I'm trying to work out how to adjust the two antennae on the router to get the optimum signal pattern (sort of down and to the right), to cover the majority of the house - especially couch kingdom.

I've no idea how this stuff works. I know it's theoretically omni-directional - but there must be a way to align the two antennae to create the best 'sweet spot' inside the house.

I've Googled extensively, but I'm either finding info that is head-burstingly technical, or stuff that is at the other end of the spectrum and clearly pitched to the...um...executive audience.

If anyone out there can help point me towards some useful info, or offer anything more helpful than 'WTFAYBOA', I'd be very grateful.

Ta.