!
<body>

No visible strings...

I've just signed up for this free offer from 1&1 Internet in the States. (Thanks to Stavros the Wonder Chicken for the referral).

It seems far too good to be true - completely free web hosting with a bunch of added goodies (500MB of space, MySQL, CGI library, free CRM stuff, etc.) for three years. They even throw in a $25 Google AdWords voucher.

Even as a place to hold backup content, host images, or mess around with new site designs - it's a great deal. The sign up process was simple, fast - and they asked for the absolute minimum of personal info. At no time did I have to even hand over a credit card number.

The deal has been mentioned on Metafilter, in a much-commented thread (here) - no one there seems to have uncovered any serious concerns with the deal. I'd say it's legit, as far as I can tell.

It's a no brainer.

Now I just have to figure out what I want to use it for.