!
<body>

Site ations

Two links, of primary interest only to me and, perhaps, the fifteen people to whom I'm famous. One of these is just odd; the second is wonderfully encouraging and ego-polishing.

First the odd one: I've just come across a curious reference to a random comment I made about a month ago, quoted as an example of blog linking in a Swedish academic paper from Umeå University. In fact, the citation points to something I said in an email message, later quoted by David Weinberger on his main blog. The links don't get much more tangential than that one.

The paper, "A Brief Overview of the Linguistic Attributes of the Blogosphere" (PDF), is an engaging read for anyone interested in the evolving sociolinguistics of blogging.

The second link is to Martin Roell's new project - the splendidly altruistic JobBlog. This is the realisation of something I believe Martin has been noodling for some time - an idea he was good enough to share with me a few weeks ago. Perhaps Martin's original explanation to me is the quickest and best way to describe what this new blog is about:

"I want to sent up a Blog with entries about people I know that are
looking for a job. (Actually, it's not so important that it's a blog,
I will just use Blog-technology because it's simple and because
using the word will create more buzz than an ordinary website.) It
occured to me that many of my friends and acquaintances were looking
for a job and I thought: "Well, I have a blog with more that 1000
readers everyday who mostly work in business and trust my advice, so
why not make something out of that?"


It's a great idea, thanks Martin. I'm afraid my German is only just good enough to be able to figure out that one of the first listings on the JobBlog is about me. But thanks to Google Translations I can tell that Martin's comments are also extraordinarily flattering (although I'm sure the phrase "therefore I seize myself here briefly" has suffered somewhat in translation - I mean, we're friends, but we're not that friendly ;-)

Thank you, Martin. That's a very kind thing you've just done - not just for me, but for all the people you're going to be listing. Smart idea. Neatly executed.