!
<body>

Clarification

Need to clear up a couple of things about my recent employment outage. I've said this in email for those who've asked, but think I should address the points here too, just in case.

First - we're not going to starve. Not yet, anyway. Huge and sincere thanks to all who've been in touch with offers of support and assistance - all very, very much appreciated. The flood of email and phone calls in the last three days has been simply terrific. Thank you.

For the record: I have been offered a half-decent severance package, so we're not going to be completely flattened in the short term, thank God. Of course, if I don't find a new gig in the relatively near future, you might still find me in the Bloor subway with a penny whistle. But at least we have a little time to sit back and figure out what I want to be when I grow up.

Second - you might think it's a subtle distinction, but please don't say I got 'fired'. Firing implies, to me at least, some cause. There was no cause in this - 'my position was eliminated' (whatever the stinking hell that means).

As I was originally hired to build and run a Technology Practice, from scratch -- perhaps the most accurate description is that I've just been uninstalled.

It was a fairly clean uninstall too, but I kind of like the idea that I may have left a number of deeply-seated registry entries in place, that will continue to influence the behaviour of those I've left behind for the conceivable future :-)