!
<body>

Love Me Tender

The Globe & Mail's weekly Challenge, in the Saturday Books section, has been going through something of a fallow patch. It's always worth a read, but hasn't really tickled me in the last month or two.

Yesterday's selection, though, had me blowing hot coffee out my nose - snorting in early Saturday morning guffaws.

Here's a few quality moments; compiled, as always, by the splendid Warren Clements.

Name that tune
Saturday, August 9, 2003 - Page D14

The challenge was to match a popular book with a popular song or other musical work. Where there were duplicates, I flipped a coin. To differentiate the categories, the songs titles are written without the customary italics.


The winner:
The Thirty-Nine Steps:
I Could Have Danced All Night.

(Frank H. Gough, Qualicum Beach, B.C.)

Other literary ditties:

Middlesex: Dude Look Like A Lady.

(Phyllis Reinhard, East Fallowfield, Pa.)

The Origin of Species: Hey, Hey, We're the Monkees.

(Karl Dilcher, Halifax)

The Iliad: The Last Time I Saw Paris.

The Odyssey: Show Me the Way to Go Home.

The Horse's Mouth: Hey There.

(Paul Davy, Parry Sound, Ont.)

Frankenstein: Put Your Head on My Shoulder.

(Stephen Dudzik, Olney, Md.)

...and many more fine examples in similar vein. Check out the full list at the Globe's site.

"Hey, Hey, We're the Monkees" :-) that kills me.