!
<body>

New Blog Generation

Still busy as heck, but had to just pop in to say this...

I got to speak today with a class of PR hopefuls at the Humber College School of Media Studies. Myself and a colleague tried to give the class a feel for what it's like working at a major international PR agency, and how they can go about getting themselves hired. Bright bunch, great questions.

One thing that I found a little disappointing (although perhaps not too surprising) was that when I asked the question, not one of the students had any idea what a weblog is, or why they should know.

We need to work harder on my side of the fence to get this stuff into the curriculum at PR schools - it's too important to the future of my business to be ignored.

There wasn't enough time for me to explain in sufficient detail, so I encouraged them all to go off and Google around to find out for themselves what blogging is all about, why it's going to be so important to their future, and why they should all start their own weblogs immediately.

There's a good chance, I hope, that some of them took my advice and may be reading this right now. If so - do yourselves a favour and go read some of these pieces instead:

To get you up to speed:

A brief history and introduction to weblogs.

A rather longer overview, with a different slant.

This recent PR Week piece (caveat: some of this is a little off, but it's still worth reading).

Some important blogs and bloggers for any PR type to know about (in no particular order):

Tom Murphy (Start here. Bookmark it. Check daily.)

Jeff Jarvis' wonderful BuzzMachine

Dan Gillmor's eJournal

Phil Gomes

Jim Romenesko

An ancient and venerable newspaper demonstrating that they get it (and how): The Guardian's Blog

Rick Bruner's MarketingFix

From my own archives...

High Tech PR for a Post Dot-Com World (old, but still valid, IMHO)

How not to mix PR and blogs

And finally, two of the most entertaining blogs you're ever going to come across. Just because.

Gawker - the 21st Century's Dorothy Parker.

Izzle Pfaff!

Once you've gone through some of this stuff, if you're interested, still confused, or keen to get started - call me. You all have my business card. I'd be happy to help you get set up.