!
<body>

unWired II


Great "Wi-Fi for beginners" pull out in the new Wired. I've been getting up to speed fast as possible since going unplugged this last weekend, but this supplement helped fill in a couple of key gaps.

On which note, a quick rave in favour of D-Link. I've been told these guys have had a sucky reputation in Canada for a while, but if my experience with their Wi-Fi kit is anything to go by, they've got it right. Big time.

Setting up the router and AirPlus card last weekend was a breeze.

Even better: I'm now on a loaner notebook for a few days while my trusty Stinkpad is in the hospital. Last night I bunged the driver CD into this machine, ran setup, rebooted with the Wi-Fi card in place and bingo!

Zero to 22mbps in about 4 minutes of setup time.

Wired says that D-Link's challenge is to differentiate in a crowded market. Well such stunning, intuitive ease of use is a pretty good way to differentiate by my book.

This kit just rocks. If you're looking to get your Wi-Fi feet wet on a budget, you could do a lot worse than the D-Link Di614+ router and AirPlus card combo.