!
<body>

Pre-emptive patent opportunity

What’s going on inside me cup of tea?

Ever noticed how the tea bag swells up like that when you pour the boiling water onto it? If you use the funky round teabags, in particular, the flippin things bloat up like they’re going to burst. You can see the water going mental -- fizzing and roiling around inside the leafy innards of the thing.

Looks like there’s so much superhot steam in there that the water is almost bouncing off the mesh surface of the bag without penetrating.

Wonder what physical phenomenon is at work here - and are there any practical applications for this peculiar behaviour? Can I patent it?

Oh - and why do ginger biccies taste so much better when dunked in yer tea?

Lots to ponder, sitting here right now with a mighty large mug of orange pekoe and a short stack of “President’s Choice English Style Ginger Snaps”. Yum.

Pinged my brothers with this conundrum couple of days ago. Haven’t heard back, but I figure they’re all too busy celebrating Mom’s birthday. 65 today (the 21st). Crikey.

Happy birthday, Mum.

Wish to heck I was back there right now, raising a glass with all the rest of you. Guess I’ll raise me cuppa instead.

M&D just got back from a weekend in Bude, Cornwall.

Ah, the cheesy British seaside experience at its best. On the phone earlier we figured out that the last time we were there, as a family, was probably back around 1974. I was ten. Mum would have been about 36/37 – younger than I am now.

Crikey squared. There’s something that’ll make you feel all growed up, for sure.

Many, many happy returns, Mum. I love you.