!
<body>

Presto chango...

No sooner had I blogged about the interesting and mildly amusing effects of Googling for the phrase “go to hell”, below – than the effect in question evaporated.

*poof* - gone in a blink. Nothing spooky going on, I’m sure – just the effects of Google’s usual self-leveling ability.

For those who missed the moment – the short lived silliness was such that if you typed the phrase in question and clicked the “I’m feeling lucky” button, it took you directly to the Microsoft home page (cue Roz's laugh from Monsters, Inc.*).

If you clicked on “Search” you got a hit list populated with the likes of Microsoft, AOL/TW, Disney and so forth.

No idea if this was tweaked, Googlepoked or entirely natural. Either way, it was, as I said mildly amusing on a slow day so no big loss that it's fizzled.

Oh...and a tip o’ the mitre to AKMA for clearing up one related question. The hit list produced when I first blogged this included a rather bizarre and, to me, perplexing pointer to the University of North Carolina website. AKMA offers a plausible explanation here.

Unfortunately, AKMA's chosen analogy still didn’t quite resonate, at first. As a synthetic Canadian (having only arrived here some six years ago) I'm afraid I only figured out a couple of months ago that the Habs and the Montreal Canadiens are the same thing.

But thanks for figuring out the other thingie, Rev.

*(Hopping back to Roz's laugh for a minute - wouldn't this be the perfect sound to associate with the Windows "Critical FUBAR" message. When IE or some other part of the flakiness that is Windows blows up for the umpteenth time at a critical point in your unsaved document - wouldn't you just love to have that sneering "hur hur huuuur" as your machine's death rattle? If anyone knows what I'm on about and has a wav of the appropriate sound, let me know. Ta.)