!
<body>

I'm reassured to note that many of the people signing this "petition" clearly get the joke. If it is a joke. Who knows...?

Quasi-random example: "I think they should rename New York too, because every time I hear "New York" it makes me think of that day and it makes me cry. That and the words "world," "trade," and "center" should be removed from our language as well."

At the same time, it's pretty scary to see the number of dumbasses who are completely falling for it.

The good news is that this petition, at the same host site, is currently caning the "rename" one by 2149 votes to 1220.

Of course, it's depressing to realise that the majority of signatories to both petitions are probably coming from America. No disrespect to Americans at all, honest - my point is that unless Peter Jackson's brother happens to run the state of California, it's entirely possible the rednecks will win out in this case. Expect to see Dubya's name lining up in favour of the "Rename" list pretty soon.

When I pinged David Weinberger about this earlier today, his simple response was: "I apologize for my country."

In related news: survey results published in today's Globe & Mail indicate that 30% of Americans are quite convinced that Canada is indeed the 51st state.

For all I know, they could be right. I wouldn't be too surprised if this one slipped past Chrétien while he was nodding off listening to Stephen Harper's interminable drone...