!
<body>

Killer App Wish List

I need someone to build me a Killer Sixdegrees App that would help me maximize the latent value in my rolodex.

Lemme paint a scenario to illustrate what I mean: got a call late last week from one of our regional offices in full scramble mode. Just had a potentially amazing new biz opp walk in the door, one of those "if you can pull this off in no time flat, you'll get the whole gig" things.

So we’re running around like nutters, pulling together everything we can bring to bear on this opportunity, as it’s definitely the kind of deal we'd want to win.

Like any other flack, part of my process in situations like this will always be to go straight to the "About" section of the prospect's website, find out who’s in the mgmt team, who’s on the board – try to figure out who do I know that knows someone that knows them, what can I find out about their hot buttons?

I’m playing rapid-fire sixdegrees on the fly – trying to map a network of relationships that ultimately leads back to someone I might be able to beg insight from or might possibly have some relationship, maybe even some influence with.

In the middle of all this, I realise I jump through this set of hoops every single time we sniff a new biz opportunity – and I’m probably very far from unusual in this respect. It’s the standard lifeblood of the agency business – who you know genuinely is as important as what you know.

Of course, every time I do this, it’s a somwhat patchy, labour-intensive and time-consuming process. Doing it manually, there’s no guarantee I’ll figure out all the linkages, or uncover all the potential contact points and/or pain points.

So – wouldn’t it be great to have some kind of role/relationship mapping KM tool, driven by external search capabilities from Google, or whatever, that could automate a large part of this process for me? I type in the names, job titles, company names and any other info about the people I want to map – it takes my own contacts database and some nifty searching and builds a graphical "P-Web" display on the fly.

This might be a little like mapping the "Relationship Capital" element of Tapscott & Ticoll’s whole Business Web thingy, but on a much simpler P2P scale.

Imagine something kind of like this. Just way freakin easier to figure out ;-) I can handle the parabolic tree thing, just give me better info when I drill down.

Maybe it's something these guys could do? Or maybe such an app already exists and I've just missed it...?