!
<body>

About blinking time...

Being meaning to post a link to my friend and neighbour Joshua Fireman's Sixth Column site for yonks now.

His latest update finally spurred me to action. Here's Josh's invitation to the "Sixth Column Passover Singalong":

"While the Passover Haggadah has many lovely, traditional Passover songs, Sixth Column is pleased to present some Passover show tunes to liven up your Sedar meals!"

A small sample of what awaits you:

Sheik to Sheik
music by Irving Berlin (“Cheek to Cheek”)
lyric by Rick Finkelstein and Tony Schuman 1998


Egypt, I'm in Egypt, and it's exodus to Canaan that I seek
If the Pharaoh tries to stop us with his clique
They'll be swimming in the Red Sea sheik to sheik

Egypt, we left Egypt, as we plunged into the sea despite our fear
That's when Moses made the waters disappear
Now we're safe in Sinai grinning ear to ear.


I know I'm missing some of the references in the other examples on the site (we didn't cover Haggadahs at Catholic school), but they're still bloody funny. A simple half twist to the cultural lexicon, and all of a sudden I can't hear Ella Fitzgerald's voice in my head anymore...

Also worth a read is Josh's account of tangling with Calgary's legendary Hart clan - the first family of wrestling. Josh is a complete wrestling loon and had one of his wildest dreams fulfilled in "The Dungeon" at Stu Hart's Calgary home:

"I was pinned on the kitchen floor. I had narrowly averted an eye gouge, but my arms were pinned back, my shoulders were being pulled out of their sockets, and my head was quickly running short of blood and oxygen.

Patiently explaining the pain he was inflicting on me was an 86-year old man. “Your lips are turning purple,” he muttered into my ear as I realized I was moments from blacking out.

I could not have been happier."


Prefer a nice cup of tea and a Kit-Kat, meself - but it takes all sorts.