!
<body>


Oh no.

Comic genius Spike Milligan dies aged 83 after long illness

Oh Spike...I'm so sorry.

I grew up reading, and loving, Milligan. My brothers and I used to act out the Goon Show scripts for my parents from behind the louvre doors in our living room. All through childhood I read, watched and listened to so much Milligan that I came to feel he was almost one of the family - he even looked like a couple of my uncles. And now I'm all growed up and reading "Silly Verse for Kids" to my own children.

I can still rhyme off long chunks of his poetry, and still have fits of giggles over passages in the books. Sheesh - reading "Puckoon" even gave me one of my earliest remembered sexual experiences (you'd have to read it to know what I mean).

Reuters has a good piece about him, here.

As does the Beeb, here.

The world's just not as funny as it was yesterday.

Bye, Spike.