!
<body>

Serendipity cubed.

Just the other day I mentioned “Nexialism” to a friend of mine. We rabbited for a while about the idea and A.E. van Vogt’s awesome, seminal SF work, Voyage of the Space Beagle, in which the concept was first posited.

Then I come across a post at Memepool to pictures of cover art from various editions of the book, including the copy I remember first seeing on Dad’s bookshelf waaaaaay back in the early 70’s.



This sends me off to Google for “nexialist”, where I find a whole bunch of links to other people who remember van Vogt’s stuff too. I particularly liked the intro to nexialism from "Milo Mindbender".

Somewhere on the Web you can guarantee there’s an underground of practising believers for just about any half-remembered idea from the early days of Sci Fi. I haven’t searched yet (scared to follow the thought to completion), but I bet there’s even a hardcore of nutters out there who, like the Klingon-speakers at Trekkie conventions, have taken the mysticism of Heinlein’s Stranger in a Strange Land literally.

Just as long as they’re not following the Martian Diet, they can grok whatever the hell they want to grok, for all I care…

One more serendipitous data point: van Vogt died last year on my wife's birthday.

Requiescat in pace.