!
<body>

We're back!!

The trusty old Compaq's working again - Windows Me and everything. Effusive, gushing thanks & kudos to Nathan in Y&R tech support for figuring it all out. He not only fixed it, he even cleaned it. Service above & beyond the call...

It's a huge relief to have this machine in the land of the living again. I was feeling pretty bad about killing it - it's probably the most dependable piece of hardware I've ever owned. A well built piece of kit and I mistreat it horribly. Phew.

On the subject of well-built kit: desperate for some blog-based relief last night, I took to editing on the Palm, using ThinkOutside’s miraculous Stowaway portable keyboard. This thing is more than just well built – it’s ninja cool. One of the engineering masterpieces of the 20th century.

First time I saw the demo dude flip the keyboard open at Internet World a couple of years back, I all but literally drooled on him. Made a complete nork of myself, actually waving a credit card under his nose – pleading with him to sell me the beta unit.

He wouldn’t, of course, but a few months later the constantly wonderful, ever surprising Sausage bought me a real one for my birthday. Greater love hath no woman than this…

Never entirely satisfied with what I've got, I'm now pining for the next step above my Palm Vx. He who dies with the most toys wins - my present techlust will not be satisifed until I get me an iPaq. Powerful, functional and just drop dead gorgeous. I want one.

The only thing missing from Compaq's design is an appropriate SciFi sound effect when you pull the machine out of your pocket. Maybe they could add a photocell that prompts the iPaq to make a nice "swoosh-bedeep-kerchunk" kind of noise as you whip it out and fire up that stunning colour screen. Or perhaps something like the "thwip ding" sound effect that plays when Steve pulls out his Handy Dandy Notebook on Blue's Clues (my son's all time favourite TV show).

Whatever.